Tuesday, October 25, 2011

CEDO 530 Entry Two

As of right now I am thinking of two very practical purposes for digital stories: delivering content and assessing student learning.

There are times as a teacher that it can be tempting to feel a need for a sense of control by delivering much of the content personally. What I have been finding out is there are times in which there are other far more powerful ways to deliver a message or content and that I need to step aside and let it happen. Digital stories can be a very powerful way to deliver information. On the first day of my history class I showed this clip and was very happy with how engaged the students were as it explains the importance of history better than I could:


Although there is still a place for teachers in delivering and explaining content there is not doubt that digital stories are at time a very powerful tool.

I have and plan to use digital stories as a way to assess student learning. Creating a digital story is a great way for students to produce a meaningful and authentic product. It also allows them to exhibit some creativity by customizing their story. My one experience with digital stories created by students did not go perfectly but the creativity shown in many of the stories sold me on the whole idea. 

Continuing to find great resources for creating digital stories is my main goal for this course. 


2 comments:

  1. I really like the idea that you can use digital stories for teaching a lesson but also that it can be used to assess. I am really excited to try this with my 2nd graders this year. For our animal unit I hope to have them do their dioramas and then read their report to go with a picture of the diorama. I can than make a digital zoo for all of the parents who miss our 2nd grade zoo day! Doubles as a class project and as an assessment!
    Thanks for the idea of using it for assessments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josh,
    I like the idea of you are using it as an assessment for your class. Students would think of this as a great assessment, it's fun and you can be creative with it. I am guessing this would be an open book assessment? Unless you have students bring in note cards and put them in groups to do it? How would you have your students do it?

    ReplyDelete