Monday, October 17, 2011

CEDO 530 Entry One

Of all of the classes that I have taken in this cohort from what I can tell thus far this seems the most interesting. Being a history teacher much of what I am doing is telling a story from the past. Getting students interested in history can be a great challenge at times as many simply see it as "a bunch of boring old stuff". The best history teachers I had were able to engage students with their story telling. I am looking forward to learning how to improve my story telling, take it to the digital age, and hopefully become a more engaging teacher.
Improving my presentations is probably what interests me most. I remember a couple courses back taking a look at the "Death by Power Point" presentation and that encouraged me to reform my presentation practices and it appears that Presentation Zen teaches many of the same lessons. It has actually become painful to see bad  Power Points and hopefully I can help lead a presentation revolution to rid the world of bad power points.
From what I can tell I am very excited about CEDO 530 and think it will help both me, my students, and my school.

3 comments:

  1. I also teach a little history! I think digital storytelling will be a great way to help kids learn about history in an exciting way! I am hoping to have students study a certain person in history (we do MN history) and create a digital story for that person to share with the class or post to our class blog. Hopefully, my sixth graders will be able to do this easily. They will probably be better at it than me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josh,
    I agree, I think this class is perfect for teachers like you and Kristy. When I first watched some videos I was thinking this is perfect for a history class. This would make history classes more interesting, virsus just reading a simple book and the normal. Even though I'm not a history teacher, I am still excited for this class. I might find out different ways to use this.

    Good luck-
    Jessika.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is nothing more painful than a bad presentation. I know that I have been guilty of many of these power-point no-no's myself. I hope to improve my skills too. I don't generally think of myself as cretive so I am concerned about how easy this is going to be. Hopefully I am up to the challenge.

    ReplyDelete