Thursday, June 16, 2011

In Time Videos

The In Time video I watched was about class project that involved students creating a CD-ROM that profiled their community (Manson, Iowa) in detail. It involved many of the key components of a good technology-based project including organization, scaffolding, authentic assessment, multiple-disciplines, and multiple software and hardware usage. The project was comprehensive and ongoing. Students learned the content and skills necessary to complete the project throughout the course and were given time to work on it. The end result was a technology-driven product that displayed student achievement according to the learning product. The product was shown and/or given to community members, thus making the assessment truly authentic.
At my school, my department has spent a great deal of time revising curriculum and getting up-to-date on the best practices in social studies education. I have felt that in order to properly measure student learning that a comprehensive and ongoing project would be something that should be included in most classes. I have struggled with teachers who have a difficult time moving away from the traditional lecture and then test model of teaching history. A project along the lines of the video I watched would be something I could take to my department and potentially build on as it is my hope to integrate this type of project in my classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment