Thursday, May 26, 2011

Spreadsheets and Evaluating Software

Although I have had a good deal of experience using spreadsheets I had never explored the formula functions. I have used them mainly for recording and organizing basic data (student textbook numbers, assignment tracking, etc.). With more knowledge of the formula function I may be able to expand my use of the tool. There are also several places that I could potentially integrate spreadsheets into my teaching. In my geography class the students work with a lot of demographic and statistical data and spreadsheets would be a good way for students to organize and sort the data that they research.
It was interesting to discuss the ways that districts evaluate software. In my district I believe that it would be beneficial for technology coordinators and administrators to seek more staff input. There are not any specified procedures for teachers to do this. Districts should have a policy and procedures for software and give teachers and opportunity to test out and provide feedback  before decisions  are made. My district has spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on software that many teachers feel is unnecessary and teachers were not given the opportunity to evaluate the software before purchase. Giving staff more input would be better and more efficient for my and other districts.

No comments:

Post a Comment