Thursday, June 30, 2011

The Class Experience

Using Productivity Tools Effectively (CEDO 515) has inspired a great deal of thought and reflection into my teaching practices. The first two classes in the program were more focused on learning some basic skills but this course has involved more instruction on how to actually implement technology-based activities. What I have found out is that even though I have used technology for various purposes in the classroom, it has not been utilized to anywhere near its full potential.

The textbook has provided me with a great deal of very useful tips on creating technology-based activities that are student driven. What I have found in the classroom is that when students do not have a lot of structure and clear step-by-step procedures they tend to become frustrated and struggle. This summer I have attempted to use many of the tips from the textbook for my summer school courses. I have found my activities have been more organized and have found myself doing a better job facilitating the students rather than continuously providing direct instruction.

Even though I have always thought of myself as someone who knew a lot of what is on the web, there have been many tools throughout the class that I had not fully explored. It is my belief that the web and technology are going to be at the center of education in the future. My hope is to play a leading role in helping my school integrate these tools. It has been valuable to learn important steps that districts must take in training staff and selecting the software to be utilized by the district.

I already have a great deal of passion and interest in technology in education. My classroom will have better technology-based activities and I will be able to play a bigger role in my district's technology leadership due to the knowledge and skills learned in class.

1 comment:

  1. Josh,

    Job well done!

    "even though I have used technology for various purposes in the classroom, it has not been utilized to anywhere near its full potential."

    And you will always feel that way. However, you have the right perspective in that you understand that this is a continual process. And as long as you grasp how idea behind the technology, learning the various tools will become easier.

    Good luck !

    ReplyDelete