Sunday, June 19, 2011

Building a Website

Something I have considered doing several times but have not pulled the trigger on is building a classroom website. I have used a Web 2.0 tool (Edmodo) in my classes for a couple of years but feel a course webpage would be a good complement. Edmodo has provided a great place for me to share files and facilitate online discussions but I would like a course webpage to keep important files such as a syllabus and contact information easily available to students and parents. I can post those materials on Edmodo but it shows the newest materials near the top and the older stuff tends to get buried. Plus, a username and password is required for Edmodo so a webpage would allow more accessibility for parents.
Google sites would offer a good solution for my need to have a course page. The computer classes at the school have offered to build and maintain a site (through dreamweaver I believe) but I would like to have unlimited accessibility and editing ability. I have played around with Google Sites a little in the past but have not took the step to completely construct a usable site. This should give me a better communication tool with parents.

3 comments:

  1. Google Sites is an attractive option (especially for the price). That is why I am looking at migrating our entire school site to a Google Site. I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I do like the simplicity and the integrated features.

    I hope you get the chance to at least try and implement it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just ran across a site for creating courses http://www.rcampus.com/ . I know there are a lot of them but this one also integrates with Google Accounts (like Wolfmail) from the Google Marketplace. It's free as well.

    I just signed up for an account to check it out. It has both web site creation and course management for creating classes and courses.

    I haven't checked anything out in detail but it could be worth looking at.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After checking it out a bit this site really has a lot of stuff including a rubric maker with access to thousands of ready made rubrics for everything. It also has ePortfolios and ....

    ReplyDelete