Tuesday, January 17, 2012

CEDO 535 Entry Five

Reading the epilogue really got me into some deep thinkingj about the read/write web. I have tried in class many times to use these strategies. This year I have used Edmodo in my classes, had my students blog, and had them work collaboratively using Google Docs just to name a few. The results have been mixed. While some students seem to get into and enjoy these things, it has not been effective for some. I've spent a great deal of time reflecting on why it has not worked as well as I had hoped with all students. While there is no doubt that I will revise some activities that have not worked as expected, I truly believe that I have not went far enough.

Most of my closest colleagues are very hesitant to use and critical of technology and view teachers having students on computers a lot as " lazy". I will admit that this has caused me to hesitate to go as far as I would like to using web 2.0 applications. By no means have I not incorporated technology but on a far more limited scale than I would like. I start a new semester on Monday and one of my goals for the rest of the year is to move forward using web 2.0 tools more frequently and setting a culture that my students and colleagues will follow.

2 comments:

  1. I think students today are more productive than ever, its just much of their productivity comes in the form of short pieces of work (aka text messages and IM) rather than lengthy writing. Older teachers sometimes assume that students will immediately get technology, and while that may be true they don't immediate get WHEN and WHY to use technology.

    I think it's fantastic that you've tried out Edmodo- I'm getting ready to pilot My Big Campus with some of my students and I'm looking forward to it. I know it will be a learning curve, but when you change the system it takes time for the users of that system to adjust to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that I am not the only one who hears that using the computers is "Lazy." I hate that comment. I responded with the idea that I have taken time to teach how to use the technology, laid the ground rules and foundations for using it, and have taught my regular planned curriculum that the rest of 2nd grade follows. Not sure how it is lazy to expand and explore!

    ReplyDelete