Tuesday, November 15, 2011

CEDO 530 Entry Five

Assessing multimedia projects can be challenging subject. In my content area of history most of my emphasis is measuring specific content-based objectives and I assess their achievement in regards to that. When having students create a multimedia project what also is included is the criteria for creating the project. How to weigh and measure the multimedia project does create a dilemma when creating a rubric. Typically what I have done in the past is weigh the multimedia content as a fairly small portion of the entire project and focus more on the content. When measuring subject specific content through a multimedia project it is careful to assess the actual project in terms of quality of technology usage but most focus should be on content specific criteria.

Creating the Pecha Kucha has been a very interesting experience. The concept truly fascinates me and I enjoyed story boarding the project. Deciding what slides to include and how to frame the story caused me to really critically think about my topic. I used the post-it note method to order my slides and found it very effective. While I am still in the process of creating the actual presentation I've did my best to include slides that would make the Zen proud. My final challenge will be narrowing my information and analysis to twenty seconds per slide as I could go on and on about my topic.

2 comments:

  1. I was a little nervous about the Pecha Kucha at first because I wanted to make something that I could use in my class. However, it is rare for me to talk for 6 minutes and 20 seconds straight. So, fortunately, our class had just started a simulation activity and it starts with a background story that gives the students an idea of what really happened so they can use the facts to help them with their simulation. I decided to have the students draw pictures that went along with the story (finding 20 pictures about the Pilgrims was tough) and help turn the original story into a "script" that would give us about a 20 second read/slide. Tomorrow is the big day to record, so my fingers are crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Initially I had thought that 20 seconds per slide would be too long - then I realized that it wasn't long enough.

    As a former history teacher I felt the same way about presentations - the content was more important. However, if we really are trying to prepare students for life after school, shouldn't the presentation skills be just as important. If we don't teach them how to speak effectively or create an interesting product, who will?

    ReplyDelete