Thursday, August 4, 2011

Wrapping Up CEDO 520

For all of the value and convenience that the Internet offers it, like most other things, comes with some very serious threats and risks. These need to be taken very seriously by everyone whether you are an online shopper, social networker, or parent of a web surfer.

I, like many, have been a victim of identity theft. A couple years ago my bank number was compromised and used to buy a $410 speaker. Although I was lucky and was able to easily recoup the money. This experience really opened my eyes to the potential threats that the Internet offers. It is unfortunate, but for most people it takes this type of experience to do this as well.

As a teacher, and most likely a future parent (yikes!!!) at some point, I am very well aware of the threats to children as well. Much of the inappropriate content on the net is very easily accessed and shared even for novice web surfers. Most children are at the very least proficient at using the web and have this easy access. This does scare me because it is likely that many kids are seeing things that are very inappropriate for them,  and often without monitoring from their parents. Social networking also is a scary thing for kids. And much of what they do is also done covertly or without monitoring. What I know from all of this is that I need to monitor my students, and future kids, on the Internet. It is not a thing that can be used without being aware of the threats whether it be to kids or anyone in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment