Wednesday, September 19, 2012

CEDO 565 Entry Five

Reading about helping teachers improve instruction was captivating to me. In my experience I have noticed administrators using several of the strategies in the chapter to support my teaching (focusing on positives, supporting my self proclaimed weaknesses, providing me with feedback, etc.). Most of the time I have found it extremely helpful and appreciated the comments. Our school began group observations in which all three administrators and a teacher would observe a class and follow it up with a discussion. This was particularly valuable as it gave me a chance to receive feedback from not only my bosses but a peer as well. It has promoted collaboration within the building by facilitating discussion about best practice and giving teachers chances to show and learn from each other. The program is continuing this year and now include department crossovers to continue to promote a building wide professional learning community. I have really enjoyed the process and wish it was something that could be done more frequently. Apparently it must be the Millenial in me wanting that constant feedback and desire to collaborate with others :-)

The chapter did cause me to really reflect more on change in schools. I still hold on to the idea that teachers can be difficult to change largely due to their passion and because many of their lessons and strategies have worked for a long time. I have however noticed many occasions in which best practices were not being used and colleagues have chosen to not listen to new ideas or feedback. This challenge is very difficult for administrators and teacher leaders alike. Teacher leaders are caught in an especially difficult situation because they are still a peer to the teachers that they are leading. It is my hope that the increased availability and use of data in schools will provide more ammunition to promote best practice for all, even those who are uncomfortable with the change.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that we do need a lot of ammo/tricks/toys to change the views of those who are stuck in their ways. It will be hard but all we can do is try. Lucky for us as new teachers continue to enter the field the "stuck" teachers will begin to stand out as those whom do not transfer to the new ways.

    ReplyDelete